Monday, October 11, 2010

Giving

It feels wonderful to give!  I don’t have too much to give (materially) anymore but when I do get the chance it feels great!  Do you give? 

Most of you know that I’m a pretty outspoken conservative.  I think the government has WAY over-reached it’s purpose and that our country is suffering badly as a result.  I join many of my friends in ranting at the “government is the answer” mentality.  Tax-and-spend isn’t fixing anything and it is creating an entire class of people who are dependent on the government when they ought not to be.  That said, there are people who cannot self-sustain for reasons such as disability.  We need to help those who cannot help themselves and teach those who CAN to do so!

Now, before you go labeling me as a hate-mongerer or racist, let me explain.  I’ve heard the saying “If I give my money to you, it’s charity.  If you take my money and give it to someone else, that’s robbery.”  I agree with that statement.  BUT, part of the reason that the government has injected itself in every arena of life is that people have neglected their charitable obligations.  That’s right.  I said OBLIGATIONS.  In the Old Testament, God commanded a titheHindu Sikhs widely practice the tradition of giving ten percent.  Muslims are obligated to give Zakat, to help care for other Muslims in need.  The New Testament encourages cheerful giving, caring for others and charity.  In short, most of us are told to give!  Even in ancient Greece, the concept of “pay-it-forward” was used to encourage giving (it obviously wasn’t called that but the principle is there).  Benjamin Franklin referred to the principle in a letter to Benjamin Webb in 1784.  He wrote:

I do not pretend to give such a Sum; I only lend it to you. When you [...] meet with another honest Man in similar Distress, you must pay me by lending this Sum to him; enjoining him to discharge the Debt by a like operation, when he shall be able, and shall meet with another opportunity. I hope it may thus go thro' many hands, before it meets with a Knave that will stop its Progress. This is a trick of mine for doing a deal of good with a little money.

It’s not enough to rant about your taxes being too high.  There are people out there who legitimately need help.  SOMEONE has to help them.  Won’t you be the one? 

The poorest among us are rich compared to most of the world.  Find a worthy cause or neighbor in need and GIVE.  It feels GOOD!  If we do our part, we can put the Welfare State out of a job!  Let’s try!

No comments: