Saturday, September 15, 2007

To My FRIENDS

I am a member of a Yahoo group for persons with ALS (pALS). Recently a pALS wrote in and was asking about "choosing when to die". You see, she is single and has virtually no family or friends supporting her and (in her words): "As time goes on, I am finding it so difficult to find any meaning in my life. I [never hear] from family and most friends. I hardly go out except to go to the store with the aide, or dr'sappointments.No one comes over anymore...."

One response she received struck me: "Most people really are good at heart--they're just so busy and distracted by "modern life" that we have to work hard to get their attention. If you die, and your family or friends read your posts here on this board later, I want very badly to believe that at least a few of them would say to themselves: If she'd only asked me, and made me see how important it was to her, I would have been there for her."

I'm not dying tomorrow, or next week and probably not even next year. I AM however facing changing needs and abilities that will continue for quite some time. This is a "marathon" not a "sprint". I'm finding that it is easy to find a friend to be with you for a "sprint" but when it comes to "marathons" most people don't have the tenacity.

I am stating, here and now that your friendship IS important to me. I NEED to hear from you. I need to see you. I don't want to die alone! Please, consider joining me for moments along this marathon. I have no choice. I have to run the race to the end. YOU can choose to support me and I need your support. I love you all. ~Claudia

4 comments:

VLMaples said...

I wish I were a better typist, Claudia. You are in my daily thoughts and prayers although we have never met in person. If you decide to use TTY or an AAC device, I would love to call and talk to lend more support.

You are not alone and you have a slew of people praying for you every day. Thank you for the blessing of your friendship!

Hugs from Mississippi!
Valerie

Anonymous said...

Dear Friend
You will be seeing my smiling face until you tell me to go away.
I have never ran a marathon however God blessed me with your friendship and I won't be walking away from this precious gift.

Love and Hugs
Sheryl with an E

Alper said...

Hey Claudia,
please don't run fast at that Marathon, enjoy the landscape views and take a bottle of water of love when you are thirsty.
I am Just turning 18th milestone and resting awhile. See you at the lane;-)
Best wishes
Alper from Turkey

Anonymous said...

Hey Claudia,

We continue to remember you in our prayers every night. Chuck and I think of you so often and remember the good times we had lo those many years ago. God bless you on each step of your marathon. We are physically a long way away, but we are running with you in spirit.

Love,
Rachel