Friday, January 29, 2010

Live For The Moment

Live For The Moment, a new show on CBS, aired for the first time tonight.  I DVR’d it (it came on at 8PM and that’s my time to spend with Christopher…tonight we watched a DVD on trains).  I spent time with Catherine watching old A-Team reruns (need a laugh at those 80’s fashions?!).  After Cat headed to bed, I turned on Live For The Moment

Tonight’s episode was about a man with ALS who got to do some of the things he had always dreamed of doing, and along the way he taught some of his friends and family how to “live like you are dying.”  As I watched the show I realized how incredibly blessed I am.  No, I never got to be a fighter pilot or professional singer (two things I would have loved), but I did become a paramedic and RN and I got to care for patients in the helicopter.  That was my dream and I GOT TO DO IT.  Some days I’m all soggy-shorts over not getting to do it longer, but I GOT TO DO IT!  I realize how many people never get to do what they love!

Now, I have the gift of ALS…which has given me so much perspective on the people in my life.  My children are first and foremost and I am truly able to treasure each moment with them.  As for my friends, the adage that people come into your life for a “reason, a season, or a lifetime” is SO TRUE.  I used to fret over people that I had lost touch with through no fault of my own, or people who had just parted ways with me.  Now I realize that they weren’t meant to be “lifetime” friends.  Very few people are meant as lifetime friends, and the rare person who has more than one or two of those is rich indeed.  I am rich!!

I am SO blessed! 

What can you do differently in your life to live every day as if it were your last?  What is truly important?  What will matter in your life 10 months from now or 10 years from now or IN ETERNITY?  Ask yourself that when you are all bent out of shape about something tomorrow, or when you are (intentionally or unintentionally) setting your priorities.  You just might find yourself looking back with fewer regrets someday.  THAT is a gift! 

Love, Claudia

No comments: